Cannellini Bean Soup
This aromatic soup brings cannellini beans & potatoes together with middle eastern spices. Cozy scents of cardamom, cumin, garlic & celery root permeates the kitchen as this warming soup simmers on the stovetop. When adding vegetable broth, I like to use a combination of regular vegetable broth & beef-style vegetable broth. For a gluten free option, simply swap sliced shiitake mushrooms for the seitan. To brighten the flavor on serving, top off your cannellini bean soup with a squeeze of lemon & fresh cilantro. Soy free. Gluten free option. Serves 4-6.
What You’ll Need
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 8 oz seitan, diced (or swap in sliced shiitake mushrooms)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 small celery root, peeled and diced
- 20 cloves garlic, peeled but whole
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup dried cannellini, soaked and drained
- 7 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp superfine sugar
- 8 oz seitan, cubed (or swap in sliced shiitake mushrooms)
- 2 medium yellow potatoes, peeled and diced
- Salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- Bread, lemon wedges and/or cilantro for garnish
How To Make It
- Sauté onion and celery root in sunflower oil over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, or until the onion just starts to brown.
- Add the garlic cloves and cumin. Continue to sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Next, add the broth, drained beans, cardamom, turmeric, tomato paste, and sugar. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer gently for 1 hour.
NOTE: For extra flavor, pan fry the cubed seitan while the soup is simmering.
- Add both the potatoes and seitan. Season with salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Bring back to a boil and lower the heat. Cimmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until the potatoes and beans are tender and the soup is thick.
- Soup’s on! Serve your hearty cannellini soup with bread, lemon wedges and fresh chopped cilantro. Enjoy!
Recipe Card for Cannellini Bean Soup
Here’s the recipe card for Hearty Cannellini Bean Soup. Print, share or save!