Spicy Bulgur Soup With Chickpeas
Loaded with Middle Eastern flavor, this meal-worthy bulgur soup with chickpeas brings both spice and substance. As with many other soups, this one starts with a mirepoix. To the mirepoix, we then add tomatoes, chickpeas & a variety of complex seasonings. This soup is quite spicy as it pulls forward the flavors of baharat, coriander & cinnamon.
Not familiar with baharat? Baharat is a Middle Eastern all purpose seasoning blend containing a variety of spices such as coriander, cinnamon, pepper, cloves, cumin, cardamon, nutmeg & paprika. You can get away with substituting additional coriander for baharat in this dish, but by all means–please use baharat if you can get your hands on it!
If you want to add a little sweetness to this soup to counter the spice, just add up to 1 tbsp of sugar along with the rest of the spices. Serve this spicy bulgur soup with fresh pita bread. Garnish with lemon wedges. Soy free. Serves 8.
What You’ll Need
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp baharat
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup bulgur
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cups hot water (plus more as desired)
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Salt & fresh cracked pepper to taste
How To Make It
- Sauté the onion and garlic over medium heat until softened.
- Next, add the carrots and celery, and sauté for for more 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chickpeas, tomatoes, tomato paste, baharat, coriander and cinnamon. Then, season with salt and pepper to taste. Once you’ve added the seasonings, sauté for 1 more minute. NOTE: If you want to add a little sweetness to this soup to counter the spice, add up to 1 tbsp of sugar along with the rest of the spices at this stage.
- Now, mix in the bulgur and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Next, add the stock and 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer gently for 20-25 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Once the bulgur is plump, your soup will be quite thick. If you prefer a thinner soup, add more hot water as desired.
- Soup’s on! Ladle your Spicy Bulgur Soup into serving bowls and sprinkle with the cilantro. Garnish the lemon wedges. Enjoy!
Recipe Card for Spicy Bulgur Soup With Chickpeas
Here’s the recipe card for spicy bulgur soup with chickpeas. Print, share or save!