Fancy Beans & Franks
We could call it cassoulet, but let’s be honest here. This dish is really just a high brow version of the childhood classic. Rather than using a typical barbecue sauce, these fancy beans & franks are simmered in a bright, white wine tomato sauce loaded with parsley and thyme. If you loved eating beanie weenies as a kid, you’ll probably still love them today… even though you’re all grown up. To further raise the brow on your fancy beans & franks at the dinner table, serve with a glass of Pinot Gris and a fresh baguette. Pinkies up!
What You’ll Need
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, skinned and chopped
- 1 C vegetable broth
- 1/4 C white wine
- 2 tsp French thyme, dried
- 2 tsp parsley, dried
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 4 vegan hot dogs, sliced
- 1 can diced tomato, drained
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 C toasted bread crumbs (optional)
How To Make It
- Saute onions and garlic in olive oil over medium heat in a large pot until onions are soft.
- Add celery, carrots, broth and white wine. Cover, and continue cooking for 5 minute.
- Stir in parsley, thyme, tomato and tomato paste. Continue cooking over medium heat until carrots are tender.
- Fold in beans and hot dogs. Reduce heat to low and cook until warmed through.
- Garnish your high brow beanie weenies with toasted breadcrumbs and fresh cracked black pepper to taste. Dig in!