Campfire Foil Packets
Get that campfire rolling! You’ll want a hot bed of coals ready for these campfire foil packets loaded with fresh vegetables, plant-based sausage & seasonings. If you can’t find vegan sausages in your local grocery store, seitan makes for a great swap here. For this recipe, you’ll steam these vegetables in their own juices using a tent-style foil packet. Be sure to use heavy duty aluminum foil for these packets to prevent them from opening up over the fire. No campfire? No worries! These foil packets also work well on the grill or in the oven. On serving, drizzle with your favorite barbecue sauce. Serves 2.
What You’ll Need
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled & sliced
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large potato, diced
- 2 vegan sausages, sliced
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke (optional)
- 3 tbsp barbecue sauce
- Salt & pepper to taste
How To Make It
- Get your campfire rolling, as you’ll want a hot bed of coals ready for indirect cooking. If you opt to make this in an oven, preheat your oven to 400°F (205°C)
- In a large bowl, mix the pepper, carrots, mushrooms, potato and sausages. Add chili powder, cumin, paprika and garlic powder.
- Stir in the olive oil and optional liquid smoke.
- Get out four long pieces of heavy duty aluminum foil. Each sheet should be roughly 2 feet long. You’ll be creating two packets, and each packet will use two sheets of foil stacked in a criss-cross fashion. Set up the foil for each of your packets.
- Pour half of the veggie mixture into the center of each of the packets.
- For this recipe, you’ll be using a tent-style foil packet. Bring the sides up together and roll them down a few times, leaving some air between the food and the top of the packet. Then, roll up the sides to close the packet.
- Place the foil packets on a grill grate over some coals, but not directly over the fire itself. By cooking these campfire foil packets indirectly, you’ll allow the vegetables to steam and soften often without burning.
- Continue to cook for 40 minutes, or until the vegetables are softened.
- Dinner’s ready! Drizzle the campfire foil packets with your favorite barbecue sauce. Enjoy!