Plantain Chips in the Airfryer
Get your healthy snack on with this quick & easy recipe for airfryer plantain chips. By using your airfryer to make these chips, you get all of the crunch of a deep fried plantain chips …without all of the fat! If you haven’t peeled a plantain before, don’t be fooled by the soft banana-like appearance. Grab a knife, chop off both ends and score it along the side before you remove the peel. Because this recipe uses green plantains rather than ripe ones, the resulting flavor is like eating a slightly sweeter version of potato chips. In order to get a crispy chip, you must slice your plantains very thin. If you slice them too thick, they will turn out more like fries than chips. Use your mandolin slicer if you have one handy! Gluten free. Soy free. Serves 1-2.
What You’ll Need
- 1 green plantain
- 1 tsp canola oil (or canola oil spray)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt to taste
How To Make It
- Peel the plantains, cut them in half and slice into very thin coins or strips. NOTE: Use a mandolin slicer if you want consistent, ultra-thin slices.
- Coat the fryer basket with 1/2 tsp of canola oil and lay the plantain slices along the bottom. Brush the remaining canola oil on top of the slices. Season with sea salt to taste.
- Air fry your plantain chips at 350 ° F for 15-20 minutes depending on the thickness of your slices. Be sure to shake your basket once or twice during the air frying process to be sure they are evenly cooked. Watch them closely after about 10 minutes to prevent burning. If you’ve sliced them unevenly, you may need to pick a few out each time you check in. NOTE: If your plantains start to stick to the bottom, just lift them off with a pair of tongs and give the basket a good shake.
- Nosh on your airfryer plantain chips right out of the fryer, or serve with your favorite condiment!
Airfryer Plantain Chips
Here’s the recipe card for Plantain Chips in the Airfryer. Print, share or save!