Pizzabellos With Vegan Italian Sausage
Hearty portobello mushroom caps are baked with vegan sausage, tomatoes, garlic, fresh herbs & non-dairy cheese. Use whatever vegan sausage and non-dairy cheese you prefer in this dish. If you opt to use plain beefless crumbles, be sure to add a teaspoon or so of Italian seasoning to bring on that pizza flavor. You’ll have two rounds of baking in this recipe, so don’t turn off the oven after your initial pass on the portobellos. Once you pull these hot pizzabellos out of the oven, drizzle them aged balsamic vinegar before serving.
What You’ll Need
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, stems chopped & reserved
- 1-2 tsp olive oil
- 1 package vegan Italian sausage, crumbled
- 3/4 C diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 3/4 C non-dairy mozzarella shreds
- 2 tbsp aged balsamic vinegar
How To Make It
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Lightly oil a baking pan & place caps with the rounded sides down.
- Bake for 10 mins or until tender. Remove from oven and blot dry. NOTE: Be sure to keep the oven on because you’ll be throwing these back in momentarily.
- While the mushroom caps are baking, mix the vegan Italian sausage, diced tomatoes, reserved mushroom bits, garlic, tomato paste & parsley in a large bowl.
- Divide the vegan sausage mixture between each of the mushroom caps. Sprinkle each cap with non-dairy mozzarella shreds.
- Bake for another 8 minutes or until the filling is warm through and the non-dairy mozzarella has melted.
- Drizzle your hot pizzabellos with aged balsamic vinegar before serving. Garnish with Italian parsley, soy parmesan and/or crushed red pepper flakes, if desired. Enjoy!