Sweet & Spicy White Bean Stew
Ribbons of fresh kale are a perfect addition to this sweet & spicy vegetarian white bean stew! For a hearty meal, I like to make this white bean stew with a spicy veggie sausage. Both Italian and Mexican Chipotle grain-based sausages work well here. For a lighter meal or healthy side dish, omit the tempeh or veggie sausage.
What You’ll Need
- 1 pkg of tempeh or veggie sausage
- 1 lb. kale, shredded with stems removed
- 4 C (or 2 cans) white beans
- 3 C (or 2 cans) diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish
How To Make It
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add tempeh or veggie sausage and cook, stirring often, until browned.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Stir in the onions, and cook until the onions soften.
- Add the garlic and kale. Stir until the kale has wilted.
- Mix in the tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the kale is tender. This should take roughly 15 minutes.
- Add the white beans and cook the stew for another few minutes to ensure the stew is warm throughout. To thicken the stew, you can mash a few of the beans with a fork and stir them in before serving.
- Serve with fresh parsley or another garnish of your choice. Enjoy!