Provencal Stew With Chickpeas & Seitan
Fill your kitchen with the tantalizing aroma of herbes de Provence with this warming vegetable stew. This recipe is quite flexible, so feel free to use up whatever vegetables that you have on hand. Your vegetable measurements do not have to be exact for this recipe to work. For a gluten free treat, just swap the seitan for more chickpeas. If you love olives as much as I do, consider garnishing this dish with a dollop of olive tapenade. Serve your Provencal stew with a warm, crusty French bread. Gluten free option. Soy free. Serves 6.
Note: This recipe is adapted from Robin Robertson’s Seitan and Chickpea stew recipe found in 1000 Vegan Recipes.
What You’ll Need
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz seitan, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large stalk celery, sliced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled & coarsely chopped
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 4 medium yellow potatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups garbanzo beans, cooked or canned
- 2 cups vegetable broth, chicken style
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tsp dried herbes de Provence
- Salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
How To Make It
- In a dutch oven, brown seitan in olive oil over medium heat. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Remove from dutch oven and set aside. NOTE: For a gluten free option, just skip this step and add additional chickpeas in Step 3.
- Next, saute the onions, celery and carrots over medium heat in the remaining olive oil using the same the dutch oven that you used to brown the seitan. Cook until softened.
- Mix in all remaining ingredients except for the seitan. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the seitan and simmer for another 15 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Dinner’s Ready! Serve your Provencal Stew with a slice of warm, crusty French baguette.
Recipe Card for Provencal Stew With Chickpeas & Seitan
Here’s the recipe card for Provencal Stew With Chickpeas & Seitan. Print, share or save!