Vegetarian Arroz Con Pollo
If you’re looking for a hearty dish with big flavor, this slow cooker vegetarian arroz con pollo is hard to beat. My meat eating friends give this dish a big thumbs up! What’s the trick? Soy curls! Soy curls are perfect for this dish, but you can also substitute a chopped seitan. I like to round out this vegetarian arroz con pollo meal with fresh tortilla chips and a simple bowl of assorted olives. To save time and effort on preparation, use your Instant Pot.
What You’ll Need
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp saffron threads or turmeric
- 3 C vegetable broth, chicken style
- 1 can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 C soy curls, rehydrated
- 1 small bell pepper, chopped
- 8 oz green beans, chopped
- 1 C Valencia rice or Uncle Ben’s
- 3/4 C picante sauce, medium heat
- 1/2 C frozen peas
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- Soy parmesan for garnish (optional)
How To Make It
- Using a large pan or your instant pot, sauté the onions and carrot in the olive oil over medium heat for 5 minutes (or until onions are translucent). Stir in garlic, oregano, cumin and saffron or turmeric. Cook for another minute or two until fragrant. Pour the mixture into your slow cooker, or cancel the saute setting on your Instant Pot.
- Add broth, diced tomatoes, soy curls, green beans and bell peppers into your slow cooker or Instant Pot. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Finally, set your slow cooker to cook for 6-8 hours on low.
- Roughly an hour before the dish is finished cooking, add rice and stir. Continue cooking on low.
- Once the rice is tender, mix in both the picante sauce and the peas. Continue cooking for another 10 minutes
- Scoop a hearty portion of your vegetarian arroz con pollo into bowls and garnish with soy parmesan. Enjoy!