Southwestern Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
These sweet potatoes are absolutely bursting with flavor thanks to hearty black beans & a little Southwestern flair. A smoky chipotle sauce perfectly balances the sweetness of the potato. Fresh cilantro brightens the dish. Then, a garnish of pepitas brings it back to earth. End to end, these Southwestern Stuffed Sweet Potatoes take about 20 minutes to prepare. Quick & easy. Serves 2-3 depending on the size of the sweet potatoes.
What You’ll Need
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium ripe tomato, diced
- 3 tbsp vegan mayo, fat free
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- 2 drops liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/4 C fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp pepitas or sunflower seeds (optional)
How To Make It
- Clean sweet potatoes and puncture all around with a fork or paring knife. Place in a microwavable casserole dish and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave for 5 minutes on high. Flip and continue microwaving for another 5 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- While the potatoes are microwaving, prepare the chipotle sauce. In a small bowl, whisk together the vegan mayo, chipotle powder and liquid smoke. Slowly add the water and whisk until the mayo has a sauce consistency. You may not need all of the water, or you may want to add a bit more depending on your own preferred consistency.
- Split each baked sweet potato down the middle and open it up to form a pouch.
- Fill each potato with half of each ingredient in the following order: black beans, diced tomato, chipotle sauce and cilantro.
- Garnish your Southwestern Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with roasted pepitas or sunflower seeds to taste. Enjoy!
Community Tips & Tricks
Romana says, “Bring on the Facon!”
Romana swapped fake bacon for the black beans.
Oh YUM! Thanks, Romana Allen!