Chickpea Baguette With Lemon & Capers
In this flavorful chickpea baguette, mashed chickpeas mingle with olive oil, briny capers, spicy mustard, tangy lemon & fresh herbs. Serve this chickpea salad on a crusty baguette with fresh baby greens & a smear of olive tapenade. This delicious sandwich benefits from sitting, so prepare this one a bit ahead of time to allow the flavors to infuse. Soy free. Gluten free option in recipe. Serves 4.
What You’ll Need
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup capers, drained and minced
- 2 tbsp fresh chives, minced
- 1 medium lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 rounded tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 dill pickle spear, minced -or- 1 tbsp dill pickle relish
- 2 tbsp fresh tarragon, minced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 fresh baguette, sliced lengthwise (Note: Udi’s sells a gluten free option!)
- Fresh baby greens, for garnish
- Olive tapenade, for garnish
How To Make It
- Mash chickpeas with a fork in a large mixing bowl until coarse and very few whole beans remain.
- Add olive oil, capers, chives, lemon zest, lemon juice, mustard, pickle and tarragon. Fold to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Now, let’s prepare the baguette! Spread the chickpea salad mixture along the bottom half of the baguette and top with baby greens. On the top half, smear olive tapenade to taste. Bring the two halves together. Cut the prepared baguette into 4 equal pieces using a serrated bread knife.
- Serve your chickpea baguette with a salad of fresh baby greens. Enjoy!