Chickpeas simmer in a tangy tomato sauce loaded with a blend of fragrant spices in this flavorful Indian stew. You’ll start by pounding the garlic and ginger with cilantro and jalapeño into a paste using a mortar and pestle. Then, you’ll simmer this bright garlic paste with browned onions, a variety of spices, chickpeas, tomatoes and freshly squeezed lemon juice. For a more authentic experience, swap 1/2 of the lemon juice with a tablespoon of amchoor. Serve the Chana Masala with cumin cauliflower rice (see recipe), basmati rice or naan. Gluten free. Serves 6.
What You’ll Need
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 c fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp cayenne or to taste
- 1 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 15 oz cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can petite diced tomatos
- 1/4 C water
- 1 medium lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tsp salt
How To Make It
- Start by pounding the garlic, ginger, cilantro and jalapeño into a paste in a mortar and pestle. NOTE: If you do not have a mortar and pestle, process in a small food processor or smash them on a cutting board using a rolling pin or the bottom of a heavy coffee mug.
- In a large skillet, sauté onions in coconut oil over medium heat until just browned.
- Stir in the garlic paste mixture and continue to sauté for another minute.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Mix in the cayenne, coriander, cumin, garam masala, paprika and turmeric. Continue to cook for another minute.
- Add in the chickpeas, tomatoes, water, salt and half of the lemon juice. Stir, cover and continue simmering for 10 minutes. Mix in the rest of the lemon juice, and remove from heat.
- Dinner’s ready! Garnish your Chana Masala with fresh chopped cilantro and serve with cumin cauliflower rice (see recipe), basmati rice or naan. Enjoy!
Community Tips & Tricks
Jossie says, “Mash the Chickpeas!”
Jossie used water from the chickpeas along with 3 very ripe roma tomatoes. She then mashed some of the chickpeas for a creamier texture.
Looks great! Thanks, Jossie Perez!
Kim says, “Works for Everyone!”
By serving this dish with cauliflower rice, Kim met the dietary needs of her extended family while providing a flavorful, filling, & healthy meal.
Wonderful! Thanks, Kim Dobbins Bearden!