Tunisian Orzo With Bell Pepper & Lentils
Inspired by the complex flavors of Tunisia, this Tunisian orzo with lentils, bell peppers & tomatoes comes together in a snap! Save time by cooking the orzo while the tomato mixture simmers. With this time saving tactic, this quick dish is perfect for a weeknight. For a gluten free treat, opt for gluten free orzo. Although this recipe calls for harissa, the dish offers flavor complexity without too much heat. If you love heat, increase the harissa and/or add a little crushed red pepper. Soy free. Gluten free. Serves 4-6.
What You’ll Need
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 24 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 tsp harissa
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 C dried orzo, cooked al dente (opt for gluten-free orzo, if desired)
- 1 can lentils, drained and rinsed
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
How To Make It
- Sauté onions in olive oil for 2 minutes in a wide skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, and continue cooking until the onions are softened.
- Add peppers, coriander, cinnamon and paprika. Saute for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Stir in tomatoes, harissa, basil and parsley. Reduce heat slightly. Simmer for 25 minutes or until peppers are tender, stirring occasionally. NOTE: Save time by cooking the orzo to al dente while the tomato mixture simmers.
- Gently fold in orzo and lentils. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Gently stir over low heat until warmed through.
- Dinner’s ready! Scoop your Tunisian orzo with bell pepper and lentils into serving bowls. Enjoy!
Recipe Card for Tunisian Orzo
Here’s the recipe card for Tunisian Orzo With Bell Pepper & Lentils. Print, share or save!
Tips & Tricks From Our Community
Babli says, “Bring on the Flavor!”
I often use kidney beans or chickpeas & a small pinch of garam masala!
Sounds delicious! Thanks, Babli Mady Khaklary!
Did you make it?