Slow Cooker Ziti
Satisfy your pasta craving with this simple slow cooker ziti! You’ll start by sautéing diced onion & garlic. These ingredients along with tomatoes, wine, seasoning & veggie crumbles will develop into a hearty pasta sauce while simmering in the slow cooker. To prevent the dish from becoming starchy, stir in cooked ziti toward the end of the slow cooking cycle. If you don’t mind a little starch, you can also add your dried pasta right into the slow cooker at the beginning. Just be sure to add an additional cup of water at the same time.
Both ziti & penne pasta will work beautifully in this dish, so feel free to use whichever you have on hand. Ziti will grab those veggie crumbles a bit better than penne. Penne will grab the sauce a bit better than the ziti. As you might guess from the picture, I generally keep a small stock of penne on hand because those grooves are so great for grabbing sauce. Serves 4.
What You’ll Need
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- 1 14.5 can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1 28 oz can whole tomatoes with juice
- 1 package veggie ground crumbles
- 3 cups dried ziti or penne, cooked al dente
- 2 tbsp fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- Salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
How To Make It
- In a large skillet, sauté onion in olive oil until translucent. Add garlic and continue to sauté for another 30 seconds. NOTE: If you’re using your Instant Pot for slow cooking, you won’t need to dirty and extra skillet. Just use the saute setting!
- Now, transfer onions and garlic to a slow cooker. Add the veggie crumbles, tomato sauce, red wine, basil and Italian seasoning.
- Next, add the whole tomatoes, breaking them up as you add each one.
- Cover and cook on low for 3.5 hours or so.
- Carefully remove the lid and stir in the ziti. Continue to cook for another 30 minutes to meld the flavors. Stir in the fresh parsley just before serving.
- Dinner’s ready! Serve your slow cooker ziti with a sprinkle of soy parmesan and a chunk of warm, crusty bread.
Recipe Card for Slow Cooker Ziti
Here’s the recipe card for Slow Cooker Ziti. Print, share or save!