Roasted Broccoli, Chickpea & Kale Salad
Roasted broccoli pairs perfectly with radicchio, kale & chickpeas in this bright, nutritious salad. Before beginning, massage the kale for a few minutes to soften the texture and sweeten the flavor. Roast the broccoli until the stems are tender and the tops are crispy. You’ll see two emulsifier options here for the viniagrette based on what ingredients you have available and your own personal preference. Choose miso if you prefer an earthy undertones to your salad, and choose dijon mustard if you prefer a tangy dressing with a little bite. Once you’ve combined the salad, add roasted sunflower seeds & raisins. Garnish your roasted broccoli, chickpea & kale salad with fresh cracked pepper and/or soy parmesan. Gluten free. Serves 6.
What You’ll Need
- 3 C broccoli florets
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 C kale leaves, deveined, massaged & chopped
- 1 small head radicchio, cored & chopped
- 1 can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 C extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp white miso or 3 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/8 C sunflower seeds, roasted
- 1/4 C raisins
- Salt & pepper to taste
How To Make It
- First, roast the broccoli. Preheat oven to 425°F (215°C). In a large bowl, toss broccoli florets in 1 tbsp of olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Place broccoli on a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes or until soft and toasty. Remove from oven and set aside. You can switch off the oven at this point.
- Next, let’s prepare the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, miso or mustard and the remaining olive oil until fully emulsified. NOTE: You can use either miso or mustard to emulsify the dressing, but your choice here will impact the final flavor. Miso will impart subtle earthy tones whereas mustard will yield a bright and tangy dressing. Both versions are quite tasty, and you’ll have a nicely emulsified dressing either way. Your choice!
- Now, let’s build the roasted broccoli, chickpea & kale salad. Combine kale, radicchio, chickpeas and broccoli in a large bowl. Season lightly with salt and toss. Add the raisins and sunflower seeds. Garnish with fresh cracked pepper and/or soy parmesan to taste. Enjoy!