Quinoa Stuffed Plantains
These sweet plantains are bursting with a savory blend of quinoa, black beans & roasted corn. Save time by preparing the quinoa blend while the plantains and corn roast in the oven. This easy recipe is quite tasty and can be easily made during a weeknight. Quinoa stuffed plantains are absolutely delicious on their own, but a drizzle of seasoned pineapple puree brings them to a whole new level. Gluten free. Soy free. Serves 4.
What You’ll Need
Quinoa Stuffed Plantains
- 2 fresh plantains, ripe
- 1 corn on the cob in husk, exterior washed & silk trimmed off the top
- 1 C quinoa
- 2 C vegetable broth, chicken style
- 1/3 C bell pepper, diced
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 C fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, sliced into wedges
- Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
Seasoned Pineapple Puree (Optional)
- 1/4 fresh pineapple, sliced
- 1/4 C vegetable broth, chicken style
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/8 tsp epazote or Mexican oregano
How To Make It
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Soak corn while you prepare the plantains.
- Prepare plantains for roasting. For each plantain, slice off both ends and slice the peel open on one side lengthwise.
- Set plantains on a small baking pan and place in the oven. Put both ears of corn, with husks, directly on the oven rack next to the plantains. Roast for 25 minutes or until the plantains are soft and the corn is just tender.
- While the vegetables are roasting, prepare the quinoa. Place quinoa, broth and peppers into a medium saucepan and bring up to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. When the quinoa is done, gently fold in the black beans to warm them through.
- Remove the husks with silk from the roasted corn and chop off the ends. Slice off the kernels and fold them in to the quinoa mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If you wish to make the pineapple puree, place all puree ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until it reaches the consistency of a thick liquid.
- Cut each plantain in half to make two long halves. Then, open them up like a baked potato.
- Now, let’s fill those plantains. Stuff the center of each plantain section with the quinoa mixture. Drizzle with the seasoned pineapple puree, if desired.
- Dinner’s ready! Garnish your quinoa stuffed plantains with fresh cilantro and lime wedges. Enjoy!
Recipe Card for Quinoa Stuffed Plantains
Here’s the recipe card for Quinoa Stuffed Plantains. Print, share or save!