Lentil Tacos With Shredded Cabbage
These flavorful lentil tacos will be a hit with the whole family. They are the PERFECT swap for traditional taco meat! For best results, I recommend using either green or brown lentils with this recipe. While any vegetable broth will work well here, I prefer to use “beef” style vegetable broth to accentuate the meaty lentil flavors. Top your tacos with a shredded cabbage blend for a cool, crunchy texture, or add your own favorite taco toppings! Soy free. Gluten free. Serves 6.
What You’ll Need
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup dry lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 2/3 cup salsa
- 12 corn tortillas, warmed
Shredded Cabbage Blend
- 3 1/2 cups shredded cabbage plus one or more of the following: brussel sprouts, kohlrabi, carrots and/or kale
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar or sugar substitute
- 1 tsp salt
How To Make It
- Whisk together the apple cider vinegar, sugar and salt. Toss together with shredded cabbage blend. Refrigerate while you prepare the taco mix.
- Heat oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Sauté onion and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add lentils and spices into onion mixture. Stir for 1 minute.
- Pour vegetable broth into pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover the skillet, and simmer until lentils are tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Uncover the sauce pan, increase heat to medium and continue to cook until mixture is slightly thickened, 6 to 8 minutes. Mash lentils slightly; stir in salsa.
- Dinner’s ready! Divide the lentil mixture evenly across each taco shell and garnish with shredded cabbage blend. Enjoy!
Recipe Card for Lentil Tacos With Shredded Cabbage
Here’s the recipe card for lentil tacos with shredded cabbage blend. Print, share or save!