French Vegetable Tian With Summer Squash
Few dishes are more stunning than a French vegetable tian made with seasonal summer squash fresh from the garden or your local farmer’s market. As the tian cools, all of the fresh summer veggies combine to create a flavor like ratatouille. For the best flavor, serve at room temperature. Use a high quality olive oil as you make this dish. You’ll find that the olive oil along with the juices from the squash make light sauce, which is perfect for that slice of fresh, crusty French bread!
What You’ll Need
- 1/2 lb. small zucchini, sliced
- 1/2 lb. small yellow squash, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 lb. small, firm eggplant, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 lb. ripe tomatoes, cored and sliced
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. French thyme
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh basil leaves or parsley for garnish
How To Make It
- Start by pre-heating oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Heat 4 tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until softened. Add thyme, pepper and garlic. Keep cooking for a minute or two more.
- Pour the soft onions into your baking dish. Channel your inner artist! Create a small veggie stack by layering zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant and tomato slices. Set this stack on top of your onions, so they rest along the edge of the dish. Keep making stacks until the baking dish is filled and packed tightly together. Add salt, pepper and rest of the olive oil.
- Bake uncovered for an hour, or until the vegetables are tender. For best results, cool to room temperature before serving. As you cool the tian, all of those wonderful, fresh seasonal flavors will come together.
- Serve with a chiffonade of basil, fresh parsley or another garnish of your choice. Enjoy!
Community Tips & Tricks
Kayla says, “Lower the Fat!”
For a low fat option, substitute seasoned vegetable broth for olive oil. It works wonderfully!
Good idea! Thanks, Kayla Rose!
Halsey says, “Present It!”
Check out Halsey’s plate for serving inspiration. You can follow Halsey on instagram at @halseygem.
Looks great! Thanks, Halsey Reed!