Brighten up your sandwiches, pizzas and pasta dishes with this zesty vegan walnut pesto! Like most pesto recipes, this vibrant sauce starts with a huge pile of fresh basil. Earthy walnuts, lemon juice & nutritional yeast round out this vegan adaptation on the classic. Gluten free. Soy free. Serves 6.
What You’ll Need
- 3 cups fresh basil
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup walnuts, lightly toasted
- 1/3 cup olive oil, extra virgin
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 0-4 tbsp water (optional)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Salt & fresh cracked pepper to taste
How To Make It
- In a food processor, mince the basil and garlic cloves.
- Pour in both the walnuts and lemon juice. Continue to process until the nuts are finely ground.
- While the food processor is running, drizzle in the olive oil until it becomes a smooth paste.
- Scoop the contents of the food processor into a medium bowl. Fold in the nutritional yeast and season with salt and pepper. If your pesto is a bit too thick, thin it out by stirring in some water. Be sure to mix in small amounts of water at a time to prevent the sauce from becoming runny. Give it a quick taste test and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Serve your walnut pesto with sandwiches, pizza or pasta. Enjoy!
Here’s the recipe card for Walnut Pesto. Print, share or save!